Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Bookworm's Corner #2

The Bookworm's Corner is weekly updates on anything bookish! What I've read through the week, any books I've bought this week that I'm super duper excited about, recommendations lists, book news - whatever! This is where the Bookworm wades in.


Finished This Week


Delirium by Lauren Oliver
(Delirium Trilogy #1)
YA, dystopian
4/5 stars

In a futuristic America, love in all of its forms has been declared a disease and has been eradicated. When they turn seventeen, everyone is required to take the Cure. After that, you don't feel anything. No family love, no compassion, no anger, nothing. Lena can't wait for her Cure; until she meets Alex. Then everything changes. My first Lauren Oliver book! I'd heard a lot of people rave about her writing, and once I met her, I wanted very much to read her books. Delirium is one of the best dystopian novels I've read. Lena's society is brutal and unyielding. People are constantly monitored, neighbors report neighbors, dissenters are jailed and/or executed. The writing is gorgeous, the characters well developed, and the world quite convincing. The romance is paramount to the plot, but I loved Lena and Alex together, there is no love triangle, and it isn't as mushy-mushy as you might think. I'm impressed with Lauren Oliver.

What I'm Currently Reading

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan: On page 226
Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales: This week, I read Maid Maleen; The Skillful Huntsman
Anderson's Best-Loved Fairy Tales: This week, I read The Little Elder-Tree Mother
Wolfsblood by Hazel West: On page 197
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling: On page 209
Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie: On page 148
Dracula by Bram Stoker: On page 349
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: On page 196
- Hollow City by Ransom Riggs: On page 205

Click for source

Book Nerd Problems by Epic Reads. Ever run into those people who are like "it's just a book!" Here's a video relating to that problem:

No comments:

Post a Comment